Monday, 7 May 2012

St Ledger in Irish Euro 2012 Squad

Leicester City will be represented in next month's European Championships when Sean St Ledger travels with his Irish team mates to Poland and Ukraine.

International: City's St Ledger celebrates scoring for Ireland
against Slovakia in the Euro 2012 qualifying round

The Foxes' defender joins Shay Given and Robbie Keane amongst other Premier League names in the 23-man squad to face Italy and Croatia plus World and European champions Spain in Group C. St Ledger featured heavily in the Republic's qualifying campaign, playing in wins over Andorra, Armenia and Estonia and scoring the crucial goal to hand Ireland a draw against Slovakia.

St Ledger has earned much respect playing for Leicester this season having been signed by Sven Goran Eriksson last summer, but has become frustrated with a lack of first team action having started just 22 games this season.

"Next season I want to start more games," said St Ledger, "I want to play here and I want to start. My aim is to play every game and I haven't done that this season. I am 28 next season and I want to play first-team football. If I can't do it, then it is difficult because of my age and my international career. Leicester is a big club and when I come back for pre-season, after the Euros, hopefully, I will be fit and challenging for a starting place."

Full Republic of Ireland squad for Euro 2012
Shay Given (Aston Villa), Keiren Westwood (Sunderland), David Forde (Millwall); John O'Shea (Sunderland), Stephen Kelly (Fulham), Stephen Ward (Wolves), Richard Dunne (Aston Villa), Sean St Ledger (Leicester), Darren O'Dea (Leeds), Kevin Foley (Wolves); Glenn Whelan (Stoke), Keith Andrews (West Brom), Keith Fahey (Birmingham), Darron Gibson (Everton), Damien Duff (Fulham), Aiden McGeady (Spartak Moscow), Stephen Hunt (Wolves), James McClean (Sunderland); Robbie Keane (LA Galaxy), Kevin Doyle (Wolves), Shane Long, Simon Cox (both West Brom), Jon Walters (Stoke).
Post a Comment